Monday, February 20, 2012

Reflection: Learning in New Media Environments

The YouTube Video, "Learning in New Media Environments" is about how we are often constrained by four walls in classrooms, and are not creating students who are ready to go out into the world and make a difference. The best part of the movie to me was at the end: the speaker makes a point to say that they actually failed in their concluding simulation because the students didn't solve the world's problems... but they failed in a "good way" because the students left not thinking about what they need to know for the test, but they left thinking more about how they can better get to know the world. As an educator, I am reminded how important it is that I give my students relevant information that they are able to apply to the real world. I don't want to give busy work; it is about quality over quantity. It is my goal to apply everything I teach to their unit and to real life. 

1 comment:

  1. Leslee, I too was impressed that he confessed to a failure in the simulation. But the lesson was so much more than just the simulation as you said. We have to spend more time linking our classroom to real life, otherwise what's the point?

    ReplyDelete