Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Types of Triangles

This week my students have been preparing for their geometry CSTs, and since all of the different types of triangles/angles can get confusing, I had the students complete a group activity to help them remember: They wrote a song, poem, story, or rap about 4 out of 6 possible triangle types. Here are some samples:

Poem:
Obtuse triangle has one angle that is more than 90 degrees
one side bigger
acute triangle has an angle under 90 degrees
almost too tiny to see
equilateral triangle has all equal sides and angles
easiest to describe
right triangle has one 90 degree angle
real easy to draw

Rap:
I like that big 90 degree angle
her name is obtuse
but I don't like isosceles
because she has only 2 equal angles
I look past that right angle
and, woah, I see that acute
it's so small - smaller than 90 degrees

Story:
Jay, the obtuse boy, had a goose. "Ahoy," he said as he played with his computer toy when he opened his laptop with an angle of 95 degrees because Jay, being shady as the obtuse boy, likes only numbers that are more than 90, but less than 180. Now his goose was acute and he plays a green flute, and played it almighty, he didn't have loot. In fact, he had less than 90. The goose's name was Abel, they were best friends, 2 parts of 1, like a right angle.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I've recently been able to experience creative writing in the science classroom and I saw some great results. Glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete